Monthly artist Programme
Art is something we appreciate hugely at Neck of the Woods (along with music and good vibes of course!) and we have made it one of the foundations of our venue since day one.
We are excited to have launched our official NOTW local artist programme; a monthly collaboration between a local artist, illustrator or designer, handpicked by the Neck of the Woods team every four weeks. We will collaborate with each artist on our weekly and monthly poster artwork, as well as a handful of limited edition stickers.
Collaborating with these creatives on a monthly basis is about celebrating the talented creatives around us, and having refreshing artwork for your eyes and ours.
DECEMBER: JOSHUA BRIONES-YAP
To wrap up this years artwork we have asked local creative Joshua Briones-Yap to jump onboard as our December monthly artist. With a Bachelor of Arts Major in Visual Communications, Joshua has previously worked in-house for Interbrand and Studio South, two of the top branding and design companies in the country.
November : Alisha Henry
This November we have chosen to collaborate with local graphic designer Alisha Henry for our monthly artist programme. What originally caught our eye was Alisha’s‘Architypes’ project, which involved her researching and sketching the various architecture found on Karangahape Road and turning them into a typeface. She works across illustration, branding, digital design, craft, print and typography; making her the perfect local artist to work with this November.
October : Samara Wooldridge
For the month of Halloween we invite K Road local Samara Wooldridge to create our artwork. Samara is one of those multi talented creatives who does a bit of everything, and it all comes together to create magic. She is a qualified goldsmith, which lead her into making hats, jewellery and accessories (alongside designing clothing) for her family business, Dmonic Intent. Samara's art has trickled through Dmonic Intent’s ranges and branding, and now into ours for the month of October.
September : Bryson Naik
Second up for the Neck Of The Woods Monthly Artist programme is local legend, Bryson Naik. Bryson is most commonly known for his electric colours, pop-culture references, Vai Lima patronage and strong link to his home suburb Onehunga.
August : Logan SMith
Logan 'Smiddy' Smith; design favourite to restaurants such as Five & Dime and Five Boroughs, retail legend Good as Gold, NZ’s only skate magazine MANUAL, and is in constant collaboration with NZ streetwear label Shark Week.
OUR SAFE & SOUND Policy
Neck of the Woods puts good vibes first. We are committed to creating a safe, friendly and inclusive community environment, that extends beyond our venue and throughout Karangahape Road.
The Woods does not tolerate any kind of bad buzz behaviour; including sexual harassment, racism, transphobia or homophobia. Behaviour that makes people feel unsafe or uncomfortable is not welcome in here.
If you are feeling unsafe in any situation, we ask you please to reach out to our friendly bar staff and security team for help - they are fully on board with our Safe & Sound policy.
MUSIC VENUE MANAGER
We're looking for an experienced but innovative music venue manager who will thrive on helping putting systems in place that will keep the business running like the well-oiled machine it is; curating and managing a tight family-like bar staff team to deliver consistently amazing customer experiences; taking an active interest in helping grow the brand; and working alongside our operations manager, creative director, music manager and marketing team on new and unique offerings.
- Someone who has a huge passion for music and culture, with a strong knowledge and appreciation of both local and international music acts and trends
- A confident host who can effortlessly engage with a diverse range of artists, able to make everyone from local underground to world famous international musicians feel at ease while in our venue.
- A team leader who thrives off efficiency, developing and continually improving bar/venue management systems.
- A great manager with a high EQ who loves the feeling of putting together a symbiotic, happy team and fostering young talent
- Someone who is able to relate to people from a wide range of cultures and global backgrounds, reflected in our local community and culturally diverse customer base.
- A predictor of problems, so much so that a solution is in place before anything goes wrong.
- Someone who leads by example, rolling up your sleeves and mucking in where necessary.
- Someone who holds a genuine passion for delivering consistently great experiences for every person who sets foot through the door.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years of bar/venue Management in the hospitality sector
- Hold a current New Zealand General Managers Certificate
- Possess a proven understanding of costs, gross profits, wage percentages, budgets in all shapes and sizes, and stocktake
- Highly proficient with stocktake and POS systems
- Familiar with the international hospitality and global live music market with a finger on the pulse of what's happening in this space
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org